Care & Repair
Care is key: Oiling, cleaning and caring for your Micklem bridle from the very beginning is key.
Oiling and cleaning will help to soften the leather. Note: As with all leather items it can take a while for leather to soft up (be it in shoes, bags or tack).
Size guides for an item can usually be found linked directly below the selection drop downs on the items page or all size guides can be found here:
- RAMBO Turnouts 3-year guarantee: RAMBO turnouts use Aquatrans technology and we offer a guarantee that your blanket will remain waterproof and breathable for a minimum of 3 years.
- Rhino Turnouts 3-year guarantee: Rhino turnouts use Aquatrans technology and we offer a guarantee that your blanket will remain waterproof and breathable for a minimum of 3 years.
- Amigo Turnouts 1-year guarantee: Amigo turnouts offer a 1-year waterproof warranty.
To wash your turnout yourself, you should first gently brush off any excess dirt and mud from the outside. Once the heavy dirt is removed, gently hose off your turnout, and use a wash that is specifically formulated to clean horse turnouts as to not damage the fabric or waterproof coatings, preferably a natural or non-biological substance. Strong or biological detergents can cause damage to the waterproof coating. We recommend a our specially formulated Rambo® Wash. Once your turnout is thoroughly washed, hang to drip dry. Machine washing should be done on a Cool Wash.
Once dry, fold neatly into a breathable storage bag. Store in a cool, dry area away from any moisture or damp areas, avoiding excessive heat and UV exposure. The bags our Horseware® Turnouts are packaged in are an excellent bag to re-use for turnout storage.
We do not recommend washing your turnout with a power washer, as the pressure from this may damage the waterproof layer on the turnout. Strong or biological detergents can cause damage to the waterproof coating. DO NOT Dry Clean. DO NOT tumble dry with heat.
Rambo® and Rhino® turnouts must be washed according to the instructions given as failure to do so will damage the waterproof coating of your turnout and effect your guarantee.
Horseware Turnouts use AquaTrans technology to keep your blanket waterproof.
Aquatrans Technology Explained:
- The outer Hydrophobic layer is water hating and drives water vapor away from the outer of the turnout. Therefore, it repels the entry of any water through it coming from the outer.
- The inner Hydrophilic layer is water loving and draws sweat away from the body. The water vapor is then driven through the fabric and away from the turnout.
- This waterproof technology is one of the best on the market and ensures your horse stays dry and comfortable when wearing Rambo®, Rhino® and Amigo® turnouts.
For blankets outside their warranty period, or for issues non-warranty related please contact a blanket repair business in your area. Replacement surcingles are available in limited colors online or through any Horseware retailer. New wipe clean tail cords are available on our site at this link.
We do not offer blanket repair. We recommend finding a reputable independent blanket repair business in your area or repairing the blanket yourself.